Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Snowman in June

My therapist gave me a black paper, white crayon.
I was 7.
I had a therapist. 
I drew a snowman in June.
SHE TOLD ME TO DRAW WHATEVER I FELT.
But when I drew a snowman, she looked at me funny and said,
"The season's a little off, don't ya think?"
It was blazing hot and snowmen don't belong in June.
Just like a 7-year-old doesn't belong in a shrink's office.
I mean, Claudia was nice.
Anyway-- I furrowed my brow,
threw the snowman away,
threw my hands in my pocket
and kept em there.

Now I follow trends. 
I had a Tomagatchi.
I wore silly bands.
I uSeD tO uPdaTe mY StaTus liKe tHis.
I have an iPhone.
I use Instagram.
I peg my jeans.
I wear Alex and Ani.
I'm a product of my environment.

That snowman in June was no product of his environment.

But he ended up in the trash,
so kiss it goodbye
and conform.

xx
Sonny Jean



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think snowmen would be look great in June. Love your writing. Keep it comin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got skills.

    "Just like a 7-year-old doesn't belong in a shrink's office."

    ReplyDelete