Sunday, April 26, 2015

so mine won't stop beating


There's a stream of young love crawling through my brain cells and this is a parasitic relationship. It feeds off me and I just get sicker, see, my instagram feed is starving my heart. But I stare. I scroll. I stare. I scroll. I starve, and there's not enough soul to pass around the table so I spoon it into the mouth of those I love, because I know what it's like not to feel that. I sit hunched like a bow and arrow, done being pulled back, hoping to fly soon. And maybe this time Cupid will have something to do with it. But my spine is close to snapping and so is my heart.

So I hear that if two hearts are pressed together for long enough they pulse together, so maybe you will let mine catch up with yours. Then we can talk about more than the weather, like how your family is and what I missed when we were apart. But your guard is so high and I haven't even passed the bridge over the moat filled with words we never said. Saying them is one thing and thinking them is another. You never did either of those and I was always the one who gave it my all so you didn't have to. We're dipping our toes in quick sand and heaven knows we won't end up in the same world when we sink. You're on one page and I'm on another and we aren't even in the same library, darling.

 But that never stopped me from trying. Trying til my bones burst with love for your eyes, clearer than the rarest diamond. Your hands more tender than rain drizzling on hot shoulders. There aren't many things that turn me cold but late night strolls with you are one and I don't think it was the moon blowing chills down my neck. I told you I loved you. I sat like a puddle at your feet, waiting for you to finger paint your skin with my pigment and revel in how beautiful we were together, but no. You put on your rain boots and splashed my pain all over the concrete. You were simply having fun on a rainy day. Childish was your game and guys have always been better at sports. My hand-eye coordination has never been sensational, but I'm good enough to catch a hint. Not strong enough to follow it. See it's hard to convince the brain that this is just friends, because "just friends" have never stared at each other that long and "just friends" don't feel adrenaline when their noses are close enough to touch but just shy enough not to. So sorry for misplacing the hint you dropped.

 But this time is different. I'm taking this, along with every song about someone else, every Sunday night, every meal that was never a date, and keeping that in its place-- the past. We can move forward together, but this time not hand in hand. Love has no boundaries but sometimes there are war zones that scream Do Not Enter and now we know where those lie: In each vein and artery of those who feel love as unrequited; who grow anxious over the long stream of boys and girls in love, wondering if that will ever be them. So let my heart grow close to yours, and this time it's only so mine won't stop beating.

xx Sonny Jean






7 comments:

  1. "But my spine is close to snapping and so is my heart." and "I was always the one who gave it my all so you didn't have to" "Childish was your game and guys have always been better at sports."

    ok if i could quote all of this, i would. but i just had to settle for a couple of my favorite lines. you are one of my favorites. in real life and in paris. i wish i could tell you how much this meant to me and how much i feel like i can relate.

    really though. i can't get over the entire post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part about the puddle and the rain boots was perfect. Ugh love is dumb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look, Ruby, I never read posts that are this long. But I read this and I loved it. (Okay, maybe it wasn't that long, but the longer paragraphs were intimidating.)

    "we aren't even in the same library, darling."

    unhhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok this post seriously got to me. Man it just feels!
    "You never did either of those and I was always the one who gave it my all so you didn't have to."
    To be honest, at the beginning of Senior year this post wouldn't have meant much to me.
    But now I want to cut lines out of it and frame them
    This just resonates well with me
    Thanks Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang dang dang dang dang. I don't even know what to say. You were just spitting mad fire and I just felt it in my soul. This is good writing. These feelings you wrote about suck, but man you captured the pain so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RUBY
    What even...how the crap did you....this is beyond words. I'm in love with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite post I think I've ever read. PREACH. so so relatable. I'm gonna cry. honestly, amen to every single line of this.

    ReplyDelete