Friday, January 23, 2015

Trivial Pursuits

         

         Hey, Sonny Jean here. Nelson said I should make this dope, or you probably wouldn't be back. I'll try my best to make you stay.

What you see is not what you get, because you're staring into a computer screen. I am not a computer screen. I am a human being, but more than that. 
I am my thoughts.
My assumptions.
I am my excuses and reasons.
I am my questions and quirks.
Oh, and this?
This is about my parents' expectations and my bad driving record.
This is about where I go during lunch and why I don't like choosing partners.
This is about the 10% of my brain I use and how
                           half of that was destroyed
                   stressing over the ACT and                                           
             the other half
     dedicated to solving other people's problems.

This is about beginning to solve my own too. 

Like why the pages of my notebooks are full of 
                 unrequited love poems and 
                 the childhood I've nearly forgotten.
Or why I can't throw food away, or
the way I hold on to
every single note 
                ever written to me.

I am my questions, like
     Why didn't God make me a singer?
                     and
     Is ignorance really bliss?
                    
These are trivial pursuits, I tell you,
but they make up who you know as 
                       Sonny Jean.

Not a computer screen.
             
             Eyelashes;
           Lungs;
         Breath;
       Pores;
     Pupils;
   Lips.
  

xx
Sonny Jean




          

13 comments:

  1. This is about the 10% of my brain I use and how
    half of that was destroyed
    stressing over the ACT and
    the other half
    dedicated to solving other people's problems.

    Me too. Me too. Very nice my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This is about the 10% of my brain I use and how half of that was destroyed stressing over the ACT and the other half dedicated to solving other people's problems.

    This is about beginning to solve my own too."

    Yeah, you're dope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the ACT thing. This is dope. I'll be back

      Delete
    2. i hereby deem this dope and commit to return on future occasions

      Delete
  3. "the way I hold onto every single note written to me" so do I and youve said it perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love.
    The last line gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll stick around! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. easily my favorite intro from what i've seen so far. i'll definitely be back

    ReplyDelete
  7. great intro! I totally connect with this on every level.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant. This whole thing is absolutely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete